A to H - J K L M N O P Q - R to Z
Select the first letter of the word from the list above to jump to appropriate section of the glossary.
- J -
Jade- Mohs Hardness: 6.5-7 Treatment: None - Color: Soft to medium mint green to Dark green (Jadeite - Nephrite)
For centuries, jade was thought to be a single gemstone, but in 1863 two types were recognized: jadeite and nephrite. Nephrite is more common, but both are tough, fine-grained rocks, suitable for carving.
Jadeite is found in Myanmar, Guatemala, Japan, Burma, and the USA (California) Nephrite is found in Turkestan, Central Asia, Myanmar, Siberia, Russia, China, New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Taiwan, Zimbabwe, Italy, Poland, Germany, and Switzerland.
The Spanish conquistadors adopted the use of jadeite when they invaded Central America, and often wore amulets made from it.
Jadeite was a magical stone of Xiuhtecuhtli, the Aztec god of fire. It was also a favorite body-piercing stone of the indigenous inhabitants of Brazil and the West Indies, and highly prized as a remedy by Egyptian healers. Ax heads and other tools of jade have been found in archeological sites throughout the world. Healing PROPERTIES: Keeps wife and mother safe. Dispels negativity. Powerful in balancing emotions. Encourages change, heroism. Promotes idealism and beauty. Increases fertility, longevity. Provides wisdom when evaluating issues or problems. Brings needed energy. Facilitates healing, meditation, astral travel and development of higher psychic abilities. Improves concentration. Encourages education. Considered a "Dream Stone." Benefits eye disorders, kidney stones and female discomfort. Energy: Magnetic Element: Earth and Water Planet/Sign: Venus-Neptune/Pisces. ´ŢVibrates to the number 11.
Jasper various names and colors (See also Chalcedony)
- Is a massive, fine-grained, opaque variety of chalcedony, believed to protect against sight defects and drought. It occurs in shades of brown, grayish blue, red, yellow, and green and mixtures of these.
Found in India, Venezuela, Russia, France, Germany, and in the USA
Works directly on the animal soul to heighten and intensify primal awareness. It is both a divinatory and a "karmic" stone, and may be used to control psychic reactions and automatic responses
Some Native American tribes use jasper to make rain. This stone may also cure snake bite by drawing venom from the wound.
Red jasper may be worn for protection. Clear the mind with yellow jasper. Brown jasper is an aid to concentration and may be worn for centering and grounding.
Healing PROPERTIES: Enhances confidence, understanding. Brings greater truth, destiny, monetary wealth. Can locate lost people or objects. Helps overcome jealousy. Augments dream awareness. Reputed to be a talisman for courage - all colors. Known as "The Mother of all Stones." Strong healing qualities, mainly for the physical body. Soothes nerves. Benefits queasy stomach, hearing problems, consumption, hemorrhage and emphysema. Energy: Electric Element: Air and fire Planet/Sign: Mercury/Virgo; Jupiter/Sagittarius ´ Vibrates to the number 6.
Back to Top
- Jet - Is organic in origin. Like coal, it was formed from the remains of wood immersed in stagnant water millions of years ago,
- then compacted and fossilized by the pressures of burial. Jet is black or dark brown but may contain pyrite inclusions, which have a brassy color and metallic luster. Jet takes a good polish and is often faceted. When burned or touched with a hot needle, it exudes the characteristic smell of coal.
Found in England, Spain, France, Germany, Poland, India, Turkey, the former USSR, China and the USA
Jet was popular for mourning jewelry in the 19th century because of its somber color and modest appearance, and it has been traditionally fashioned into rosaries for monks. Jet has also been known as black amber, as it may induce an electric charge like that of amber when rubbed. Powdered jet added to water or wine was believed to have medicinal powers.
Healing PROPERTIES: Keeps father safe. Brings success, prosperity, happiness. Enhances dream process. Improves memory. Dispels fear and cowardice. Protects against violence and illness. Promotes acceptance. Reveres body as temple. Cleanses aura. Provides comfort. Benefits headaches, asthma. • Vibrates to the number 4.
- L -
- Is the plagioclase feldspar that is most commonly faceted as a gemstone. It may be orange, yellow, colorless, or red, but the material that shows a play of color, or "schiller," is the most popular for use in jewelry.
Found in Labrador (Canada), Finland, Norway, and the former USSR.
Healing PROPERTIES: Keeps one centered. Brings joy, kindness. Provides variety, good fortune. Energizes and balances mental plane. Beneficial for healing infections. ´ Vibrates to the numbers 6 and 7.
- Lapis Lazuli - Mohs Hardness: 5-6 - Treatment: None;polished with paraffin wax - Color: Royal blue to Denim blue (Denim Lapis Lazuli)
- Is a blue rock made up of several different minerals, including lazurite, sodalite, hauyne, calcite, and pyrite. The composition and color of lapis lazuli varies, but it is the intense dark blue, with minor patches of white calcite and brassy yellow pyrite, that is considered to be the best quality.
Found in Afghanistan, Argentina, Russia (Lake Baikal), Angola, Pakistan, Chile, Canada and the USA (California and Colorado)
Lapis lazuli has been worn in the belief that it will protect the wearer from evil.
Healing PROPERTIES: Keeps father safe. Attracts good fortune. Brings inner peace, tranquility, happiness. Heightens concentration, clarity and instincts. Promotes success in love matters. Encourages cheerfulness, self-confidence. Enhances psychic vision. Proficient in healing. Good for meditation. Bestows greater awareness of inner self. Provides sense of general well-being. Brings illumination. Advocates creative expression. Helps in judicial matters. Influences cosmic consciousness. Assists during time of mourning. Releases tension, anxiety. Aids sleep. Symbolizes the warmth and lasting presence of the Sun. Activates thyroid gland. Benefits blood circulation, childbirth, digestion and feminine discomfort. Energy: Magnetic Element: Water Planet/Sign: Moon/Cancer; Mercury/Gemini; Saturn-Uranus/Aquarius. • Vibrates to the number 3.
- Healing PROPERTIES: Keeps father safe. Promotes success, prosperity. Magnet like qualities, attracts. Enables forgiveness. Attracts much happiness. Increases memory, faith. Encourages openness, accomplishments. Honors body as temple. Cleanses aura. Considered a "Dream Stone." High lithium content reduces stress and tension. Aids sleep. Benefits muscles and heart. ´ Vibrates to the number 8.
- M -
- Malachite - Mohs Hardness: 3.5-4 - Treatment: None - Color: Green with color banding
- Is usually found in opaque green masses, its color derived from copper. Crystals are too small for faceting, but the massive material is carved or polished in many ways to reveal the alternating bands of light and dark green. In the past, malachite was worn to ward off danger and illness.
Found in small quantities worldwide, and in larger quantities in copper-mining areas. Zaire is the most important producer.
Malachite was considered an appropriate talisman for children. Evil spirits were kept at bay and babies slept soundly if a malachite were attached to the side of the infants cradle. Germans believed that the malachite would protect them against falling; it was thought to warn the wearer of impending disaster by cracking into several pieces prior to the incident. Because of the swirling patterns inherent in the stone, malachite was also popular in Italy as protection against the Evil Eye.
The Egyptians used malachite as early as 4000 B.C. for amulets, jewelry and cosmetics (powdered eye shadow.) - During the Middle Ages, malachite was worn for protection from sorcery and black magic. Energy: Magnetic Element: Earth and Water Planet/Sign: Venus-Neptune/Pisces • Vibrates to the number 9.
- Moldavite - also called Bouteille Stone, Water Chrysolite
- Is a tekite that is found in Czechoslovakia and was formed during meteoritic action which produced a "strew field" of this beautiful green stone. It is one of the rarest varieties of tekite, was formed over 15 million years ago, and is the only known "gem quality" stone of extra-terrestrial origin. Moldavite is a stone to serve the inhabitants of this planet. It stimulates cooperation between those of extra-terrestrial origins and those who are experiencing life on Earth. It carries one beyond the mirage of life, to a home from which one has been absent, providing the image of eternity and the vision and energy to translate the image into reality. Moldavite works quite well at the third-eye, the throat chakra, and in the area of the crown chakra. It works well with quartz, which adds the factors of amplification, stabilization, and a wide energy range, to the focused and specific access capabilities of Moldavite. It also works extremely well with sugilite, celestite, aquamarine, diamond, lapis, and opal, producing overwhelming combinations of qualities which are quite conducive to healing.
- Power of attraction, brings money. Encourages generosity. Helps cope with death. Enables one to receive. Provides clarity, Soothes emotions. Attracts astral forces. Assists psychic talents, mediumship, access to astral plane. Bestows truth, illumination. Promotes higher awareness. Good for meditation. Stimulates alignment with higher self. Helps avoid negative conditions or situations. Balances and heals physical body, mind. Benefits blood circulation, constipation, and fevers. Energy: Electric Element: Air and Fire Planet/Sign: Mercury/Virgo; Jupiter/Sagittarius ´ Vibrates to the numbers 2 and 6.
- Moonstone - Mohs Hardness: 6-6.5 - Treatment: None - Color: Soft milky white with gray and blue iridescence
- Is the opalescent variety of orthoclase, with a blue or white sheen like the shine of the moon. This is caused by the reflection of light from the internal structure, made up of alternating layers of albite and orthoclase feldspar.
Found in Myanmar, Sri Lanka, India, Australia, Madagascar, Brazil, Mexico, Tanzania, European Alps, and the USA
The Orientals believed moonstone to be a "good luck" stone. It is also a sacred stone of India and is usually displayed on a yellow cloth in that country because yellow is considered a most holy color there. In medieval times, Moonstone was a popular gift for lovers.
Healing PROPERTIES: Keeps sister and journey safe. Used as a talisman for attraction, cleansing, good fortune, protection. Attracts tranquility, harmony, telepathy. Arouses tender passions. Brings happiness. Helps unblock feelings, align and balance emotional self. Enhances perception, judgment. Enables one to meet and conquer challenges. Lightens anxiety, stress. Good for meditation. Facilitates dream awareness, greater consciousness, psychic vision and awakening. Affinity for healing stomach. Benefits feminine discomfort, leg cramps, swollen glands, insomnia, bladder problems and adrenal glands. Energy: Magnetic Element: Water Planet/Sign: Moon; Venus-Neptune/Pisces
• Vibrates to the number 4.
- Moss Agate (see also Chalcedony)
- Healing PROPERTIES: Encourages use of logic. Maintains focus. Summons the Great Masters. Brings higher love. Enhances imagination. Provides inspiration, greater maturity. Fosters attention and discipline. Benefits chest area, heart trouble, inflammation.
- Mother of Pearl - Mohs Hardness: 3.5 - Treatment: None (see Pearls)
- The inner nacreous layer of a mollusk, or sometimes of a snail shell which has an iridescent play of color. The mother-of-pearl of the pearl mussel is most often used. Accordingly, the main suppliers are the pearl farms. The basic color is usually white; it is naturally dark in the mother-of-pearl from Tahiti.
- O -
- Obsidian - Astrological Sign of Sagittarius - Elemental (see types below)
- Is a natural glass. It is formed from volcanic lava that cooled too quickly for significant crystallization to occur. The color may be uniform, striped, or spotted. Some inclusions give obsidian a metallic sheen, while internal bubbles or crystals produce a "snowflake" effect (called snowflake obsidian) or an iridescence seen as flashes of color.
Found in Hawaii, Japan, Java, Iceland, Hungary, Lipari Islands of Italy, the former USSR, Mexico, Ecuador, Guatemala. Dark nodules found in Arizona and New Mexico are called "Apache tears." Obsidian has been used since prehistoric times for making tools, weapons, masks, mirrors, and jewelry. The very sharp shards of the natural glass have been fashioned as blades, arrowheads, and daggers. Today most obsidian jewelry comes from North and Central America.
Healing PROPERTIES: Keeps husband safe. Positive influence on family. Enhances sense of discipline. Encourages fidelity, integrity. Maintains focus. Connects and balances mind, emotions. Attracts the Great Masters. Brings higher love. Expands concentration, inner vision. Provides strength and wisdom. Reflects ones flaws then helps determine the necessary changes. Slight masculine energy. Benefits stomach, heart and intestines. Energy: Magnetic Element: Earth and Fire Planet/Sign: Saturn; Mars-Pluto ´ Vibrates to the number 1.
- Here is a list of various types: Apache Tear - Astrological Sign of Aries - Vibrates to the number 6. Black, Gray, Brown - Astrological Sign of Sagittarius - Vibrates to the number 1. Blue - Astrological Sign of Aquarius - Vibrates to the number 5. Blue/Green - Astrological Sign of Scorpio - Vibrates to the number 9. Electric-Blue Sheen - Astrological Sign of Sagittarius - Vibrates to the number 7. Gold Sheen - Astrological Sign of Sagittarius - Vibrates to the number 9. Green - Astrological Sign of Gemini - Vibrates to the number 5. Mahogany - Astrological Sign of Libra - Vibrates to the number 4. Purple - Astrological Sign of Virgo - Vibrates to the number 8. Purple - Astrological Sign of Sagittarius - Vibrates to the number 5. Rainbow - Astrological Sign of Libra - Vibrates to the number 2. Red - Astrological Sign of Leo - Vibrates to the master number 55. Red and Black - Astrological Signs of Leo and Sagittarius - Vibrates to the number 3. Red, Black, and Snowflake - Astrological Sign of Sagittarius - Vibrates to the number 1. Silver Sheen - Astrological sign of Sagittarius - Vibrates to the number 2. Snowflake - Astrological Sign of Virgo - Vibrates to the number 8.
- Opal - Mohs Hardness: 5-6.5 - Treatment: None - Color: Multicolor (AAA-Grade), blue/green (AA-grade), red/green (A-grade) or white-based (B-grade)
- Wide range of colors. Opals foster love, passion, loyalty, faithfulness, emotional expressiveness, warmth, spontaneity and dramatic ability. Also associated with peace, and consciousness. Sometimes considered unlucky, but this is only because modern people fear their emotional side. A very emotionally responsive stone. BLACK OPAL promotes cosmic awareness and oceanic consciousness. BOULDER OPAL foster creativity and originality. FIRE OPAL inspires dynamic energy and intensity. SONOMA OPAL induces emotional stability. WHITE OPAL enhances competency and efficiency. Opal is admired for its distinctive play of color, is a semi-transparent solidified mineral composed of silicon and water. Ancient Romans believed opal to be a symbol of hope because it contains the colors of the rainbow. Arabs thought opals obtained their fiery colors while falling from heaven in flashes of lightning. GILSON created opals - Mohs Hardness: 7 - Laboratory grown - color: Black body color with varying degrees of red, blue, yellow and green. These precisely calibrated, durable opals have no residual water content, can withstand heat and are safe for stone-in-place casting. ´ Vibrates to the number 8l
- Opalite - see chalcedony
- P -
- Pearls - Mohs Hardness: 2.5-4.5 - Treatment: most are bleached then dyed
- Pearls are formed in shellfish - especially oysters and mussels - as a natural defense against an irritant such as a piece of grit. Layers of aragonite, known as nacre, are secreted around the irritant and gradually build up to form the solid pearl. Light reflecting from these overlapping layers produces a characteristic iridescent luster, also known as the "orient of pearl." An irritant is introduced to initiate the formation of a cultured pearl. In a "nucleated" cultured pearl a small bead is used as the nucleus upon which the layers of nacre are secreted. Pearls vary in color form white, or white with a hint of color (often pink) to brown or black, depending on the type of mollusk and the water. They are sensitive to acids, dryness, and humidity, and so are less durable than many other gems.
Natural pearls have been harvested from the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Manaar (Indian Ocean), and the Red Sea for thousands of years. The coasts of Polynesia and Australia produce mainly cultured pearls. Both freshwater and saltwater pearls are cultivated in Japan and China. Freshwater pearls occur in the rivers of Scotland, Ireland, France, Austria, Germany, and the USA (Mississippi)
Pearls were once thought to be the tears of the gods.
A pearl water tonic can be made to increase vitality, relieve eye strain, and soothe burning urination: place several small pearls in water overnight and drink the following day. This tonic is a natural antacid and anti-inflammatory.
Healing PROPERTIES: Keeps children safe. Symbolizes faith, charity, innocence. Maintains focus. Emphasizes personal integrity. Eliminates misfortune. Attunes Chakras. Brings clarity. Energy: Magnetic Element: Water Planet/Sign: Moon; Cancer/Scorpio/Pisces • Vibrates to the number 7.
- Peridot - Mohs Hardness: 6.5-7 - Treatment: None - Color: Medium green
- Yellow-green, olive-green, brown. Also known as Olivine or Chrysolite. Inspires healing, renewal, purification, rebirth and growth. It alleviates anger, jealousy and irritation. It is associated with stress reduction, relaxation, healthy vigor, recuperative abilities, comfort and intuition. Especially good for healing the healers.It can be used to magnify the inner aspects of any situation or circumstance. It furthers the understanding of those changes which are occurring in ones life and assists one in the recognition of the detrimental patterns which have been the basis for impairment in attaining that which is necessary for growth.It can be used to cleanse and to stimulate the heart and solar plexus chakras, bringing openness and acceptance in the intellectual pursuit of matters of love and relationships. Peridot is an excellent healing stone, acting as a "tonic" to both strengthen and regenerate the body. It can be used in the treatment of disorders of the heart, lungs, spleen, and intestinal tract. It is also used to strengthen the eyesight in conditions of astigmatism and nearsightedness. It can be used to provide relief from, and to provide for the healing of, ulcers of the stomach and duodenum. It has been used as a facilitator for the birthing process, stimulating contractions and facilitating the opening of the birth canal. ´ Vibrates to the numbers 5, 6, and 7.
- Petrified Wood
- Fossilized trees. Grays, reds, browns. Associated with stability, security, strength, longevity, grounding, calmness and wisdom. Helps us communicate with trees. Teaches us to respect old people and ancient knowledge. Petrified wood is also a "stone of transformation," assisting one to advance to ones highest chosen level, to commence ascension to a higher aspect of the self, and to recognize that no action unnecessary - but that all actions bring one to ones ultimate purpose. ´ Vibrates to the master number 77.
- Crystallizes in the form of masses, the structure a result of inclusions in jasper where the inclusions are pseudomorphs after asbestos. The color is blue/black and the mineral exhibits a chatoyant quality. It was discovered by Sid Pieters, Windhoek, Namibia, and is truly lovely. Pietersite has been said to contain the "keys to the kingdom of heaven," dispelling illusion and assisting one in the recognition of the beauty of the soul. It exhibits an energy conducive to the actualization of the loving characteristics of the "brotherhood" of humanity. It brings the potential of the individual to the perfection of the source of all being, stimulating dignified power and loving guidance. It promotes loyalty to the self and to the ultimate experience of life.This mineral can be used to stimulate the pituitary gland to provide the proper regulation of the other endocrine glands and to produce, in the proper quantity, the hormones concerned with growth, sex, metabolism, blood pressure, and body temperature. ´ Vibrates to the number 9.
- Keeps wife safe. Increases psychic awareness, clairvoyance. Brings greater joy. Considered a sacred stone. Useful for meditation. Provides access to spiritual and astral planes. Stimulates healing process. Benefits fevers.
- Pit Firing
- Is a primitive way of firing clay without a kiln - it's firing in a controlled bonfire. "Pit" refers to a hole in the ground, or a container that would serve as a pit. The first form of firing clay was done in a camp fire by primitive man. A camp fire is referred to as an "open face pit." The pit enables the fire to be contained and maintains the heat allowing higher temperatures to be reached.
- Color: Yellow-green, brown-yellow. Transparent, translucent. Named after Dutch colonel. It has a vitreous to mother-of-pearl luster. Prehnite cats eye occurs. Deposits are found in Australia, China, Scotland, South Africa, and the USA.This mineral can be used to facilitate contact with impalpable entities via the visualization process and through meditation. It provides for contact with the entity as determined by the direction of the user; the direction of the user being determined by a conscious decision or an unconscious desire.It is a "stone for dreaming and remembering." It also advances the state of meditation and furthers the avenues available during this unencumbered state.It enhances ones ability for prophesy, bringing in the aid of the Divine to inspire. It allows the inner "knowing" to prepare, in advance, for situations of which one has no prior conscious knowledge; in these cases, prehnite is considered the stone to assure that the "commandment" to "always be prepared" is followed. The actual predictions which this stone facilitates are usually precise and accurate. Use of prehnite for the activity of prediction should not be taken lightly; the most accurate predictions are made available when the concerns are for ones personal spiritual growth.It can be used in the treatment of disorders of the kidneys, the bladder, and the connective tissues, and for gout and anemic disorders of the blood. • Vibrates to the number 5.
- Pyrite (also called Fools Gold)
- With its brassy yellow color, pyrite is often mistaken for gold. It occurs as cubes that have twelve faces, each with five edges. Pyrite has been used in jewelry for thousands of years, and examples from the ancient civilizations of the Greeks, Romans, and Incas have been found.
The name comes from the Greek work pry, meaning fire. If you strike Pyrite with a hammer, you will cause sparks.
Pyrite is found in North America, Chile, and Peru. It is used for divination and healing by the medicine people of some North American Indian tribes. Mexican Indians make beautiful pyrite mirrors, which like the Mexican obsidian mirrors, were perhaps also used for scrying.
Polished pyrite is an excellent divinatory tool. It may also be used to focus the attention, transmit healing energy, or to attract money and good health.
Healing PROPERTIES: Brings strength, awareness of inner self. Conveys inner peace. Stimulates emotional body. Aids cleansing process. Promotes communication. Protects from illness. Improves circulation. Beneficial for digestion, oxygenating blood. Energy: Electric Element: Air Planet/Sign: Mercury/Gemini; Moon/Cancer; Saturn-Uranus/Aquarius • Vibrates to the number 3.
- Q -
Back to Top
- Quartz (Rock crystal)
- Colorless and transparent, rock crystal is the most widely distributed variety of quartz, one of the most common minerals of the Earths crust. The crystals are usually found as colorless hexagonal prisms, with pyramidal ends and striations perpendicular to their length; they are often twinned.
Found worldwide, but the most important sources of rock crystal are in Brazil. Other localities include the Swiss and French Alps, Madagascar, Russia, and the USA (the most beautiful from Arkansas).
The name "quartz" comes from the reek word krustallos, meaning ice. It was thought that quartz was ice formed by the gods. Since the Middle Ages, crystal balls made of rock crystal have been used to predict the future. Today, rock crystal is used in lamps, lenses, and the manufacture of glass and precision instruments.
Quartz crystals have been used for magical and/or healing purposes since the beginning of time as we know it. Some say the crystal was known in the days when Atlantis and Lemuria were still on the map. Magicians and occultists have used crystal balls for scrying and divination for centuries, while crystal bowls have long been popular tools for aura balancing and healing. Water-filled crystal bowls were once used to dowse the physical body for imbalances.
Healing PROPERTIES: Keeps brother and journey safe. Attraction like qualities, enables one to receive. Brings health, good fortune, prosperity. Extensive use in meditation, spiritual development. Promotes confidence. Eases melancholy. Enhances instincts, imagination, dream perception and telepathy. Balances emotions. Brings love, harmony. Encourages perseverance, patience. Imparts psychic vision, illumination. Provides restful sleep. Aids in concentration, meeting and conquering challenges. Receives, activates, stores, transmits and amplifies energy. Stimulates thought forms. Benefits hemorrhage, emphysema, consumption and eyesight. Energy: Electric Element: Fire and Air Planet/Sign: Sagittarius; Mercury/Virgo • Vibrates to the number 4.